Malteser International - Order of Malta Worldwide Relief is the worldwide relief agency of the Sovereign Order of Malta for humanitarian aid with the status of a non-governmental organization. The relief service has more than 50 years of experience in humanitarian relief and currently covers approximately 100 projects in over 20 countries in Africa, Asia and the Americas. Currently, 23 national associations including Canada, and priories of the Order of Malta are members of Malteser International.
Aid is provided in all parts of the world without distinction of religion, race or political persuasion. Christian values and the humanitarian principles of impartiality and independence are the foundation of its work. The mission is not only to provide emergency relief, but also to implement rehabilitation measures and to facilitate the link between emergency relief and sustainable development. Malteser International establishes and promotes primary health care services and seeks to reduce vulnerability and poverty. It is committed to ensure high quality standards. Accountability and transparency are priorities on its agenda.
Our mission is:
1. to support the vulnerable and marginalized to live a healthy life with dignity.
2. provide relief to major emergencies in the world and implement reconstruction and rehabilitation measures with a community focus;
3. establish and promote primary health care services and contribute to better health by providing nutrition related programmes;
4. contribute to better health and dignified living conditions by providing access to drinking water, sanitation and hygiene;
5. implement livelihood measures and social programmes to ensure the access of people to income security and reduce their vulnerability and poverty;
6. establish and promote disaster risk reduction activities, especially at a community level.